The following steps apply for the installation of Battlefield 1942 on Windows 10:
- Do NOT install the game in the standard folder shown by the installer, but use a different partition and folder instead, e.g. D:\Battlefield 1942 (this applies to the CD version, since i'm not using Origin i don't know if it can be changed there)
- Install both Battlefield 1942 patches as usual:
- Here comes the important part:
- Due to a problem with the copy protection "SECDRV.SYS" of Battlefield 1942 the game can no longer be started on Windows 10. The .exe just stops and an error message regarding "SECDRV.SYS" is shown in the Event Viewer.
- This can be fixed by using certain files, which we can't offer for download here due to legal restrictions in Germany. Instead we're linking to this website, there you'll only need the info and files in topic "1. using modified .exe files". Download the file according to your Battlefield 1942 version, then read and follow the included information.
- The once necessary compatibility settings used on Windows 7 are no longer needed, as far as i can tell, except one file: BF1942.exe should still get Admin rights.
- The modified files are already set to use the new Masterserver, so a server connection should work without any change to the hosts file (as long as the server is correctly set up).
- Start Battlefield 1942 and do your usual settings, profile and so on.